Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Makeup Artist Spotlight

This week we are shining our Spotlight on Makeup Artist, Michelle Van Patten (My Beary Best).  Michelle is one of our newer DT Members but has been a long time PMS groupie, always adding to the fun of the Release Parties.
When I asked Michelle to pick her favorite card, this is the one she chose.  This is what she has to say about her card... "This was one of those cards that came together just how I imagined it - I love when that happens!  And I just {heart} how fun and colorful it is.  I used the elephant from Ed Swimming and cut him out to be airborne headed towards that pile of punched leaves.  The word art is a digi stamp that I sized larger and highlighted with chalks."
While surfing Michelle's blog for my favorite card, I cam across this one.  I love all of the texture and the details on this card, but my most favorite part is that she made it for me and my new puppy (it sits above his eatting area on the counter) :)
I have always liked Michelle because she is very friendly and makes a big effort to make people feel welcome and "at home", and while it seems like I've "known" for sometime now it wasn't until she joined the DT that I got to know her a little better.  I am so glad she is a member of our team! And now we get to learn even MORE about Michelle...


1.  When did you get started stamping?  Ten years ago I was invited to a stamping workshop.  I was 9 months pregnant with my second child and desperate for a girl's night out, KWIM?  Even though I had a lot of fun with my girlfriends, I could not believe that people would collect all that stuff just to make cards.  A few months later, a good friend of mine became a demo, so I hosted a workshop for her. I got a bear stamp set, a black ink pad, white cardstock and chalk pastels.  I used that stuff to make my older son's birthday party invitations and thank you cards and I've been stamping ever since!  {and we won't talk about how much stuff I've collected, haha}


2.  Tell me 5 songs or artists on your iPod right now.  Ever Ever After by Carrie Underwood, Yours by Steven Curtis Chapman, God Bless the USA by Lee Greenwood, Wizards in Winter by Trans-Siberian Orchestra, Truly Scrumptious from Chitty, Chitty, Bang, Bang  {I sing that last one ALL the time because our standard poodle is named Truly Scrumptious, hehe}


3.  All Stylists have a go to accessory or tool... what's yours? Hands down, that's gotta be my Cuttlebug!  I love using die-cuts and embossing folders.

4.  What's your favorite flavor of ice cream?  Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough - yum!

5.  Where do you find inspiration?  Everywhere!  It's amazing how I can see someone and think the pattern on her dress would make a great card, or those colors on his shirt are an awesome combo.  And I love nature cards - I think it's because I didn't inherit my mom's green thumb. But I can make flowers look pretty on paper even though I kill the real ones.  {chuckle}

6.  Do you have a favorite technique or style?  I like simple cards the best.  Ones that make you think 'Hey, I could do that!' and inspire someone to get inky. 

7.  What is your favorite color palette?  It varies with the season, but I seem to gravitate towards blues and greens a lot when I'm stamping.

8.  When your 'mojo' takes a spa day without you, what gets your creative juices flowing again?  Challenges!  I'll look on Splitcoast or Challenge Blogs and find some ideas to get me started.

9.  When you aren't stamping, what do you like to do?  Eat, drink, sleep.... {wink}  No really, I enjoy playing games with my family, reading books, taking the dog for long walks, doing volunteer work at my church and the school, baking cookies, talking with a friend, etc.  

10.  Tell us something, not stamping related, about you...  I spent a semester in Costa Rica as an exchange student my Junior year of college.  I still dream in spanish sometimes. 

Well that wraps up this episode of Makeup Artist Spotlight.  Feel free to leave Michelle a comment here, or better yet head over to her blog and peruse and comment there!

3 comments:

Terry said...

congrats Michelle and So well deserving...

dawnmercedes said...

oh wow...do you speak spanish fluently? wow...I can't imagine dreaming in a different language!

Tina said...

My DH loves Costa Rica and I hope someday when can go there together.